Compressing Roland 909 Kick Drums
A detailed journey into how best to use a compressor for processing Roland 909 drum kicks.
Oops, Restricted ContentWe are sorry but this post is restricted to folks that have purchased this page.
One of the most iconic sounds from yesteryear and still going strong is the Roland 909 kick drum. EDM is simply awash with 909 kicks, so why not learn how to best compress them? I will show you.
Topics covered in this video are:
- 909 Kick Drum Characteristics
- Understanding Frequencies
- Using Automation
- Pitch and Filter Control
- Using different Compressors
- Working with Parallel Channels
- Responses and Transients
- Using Tube/Valve Topologies
- Understanding Harmonic Distortion
- Using Grains in Compression